Table of Contents
The Importance of Proteolytic Enzymes
Proteolytic enzymes play an important part in health and medicine. Proteolytic enzyme supplements have recently grown in popularity due to their many purported health benefits. These enzymes are used for a long list of conditions including cleaning wounds on the skin, helping with digestion, pain and swelling, and many other conditions.
Proteolytic enzymes break down proteins in the body or on the skin. This might help with digestion or with the breakdown of proteins involved in swelling and pain. Some proteolytic enzymes that may be found in supplements include bromelain, chymotrypsin, ficin, papain, serrapeptase, and trypsin.
What Are Proteolytic Enzymes
Proteolytic enzymes, also known as protease, proteinase, or peptidase, are a group of enzymes that break the long chainlike molecules of proteins into shorter fragments (peptides) and eventually into their components, amino acids. Proteolytic enzymes are present in bacteria, archaea, certain types of algae, some viruses, and plants; they are most abundant, however, in animals.
Proteolytic enzymes are crucial for many important processes in the body. They are produced by the pancreas and stomach in the human body. While proteolytic enzymes are widely known for their role in the digestion of dietary protein, they perform many other critical jobs as well. They are vital for cell division, blood clotting, immune function, and protein recycling, among other vital processes.
More detailed information here: Proteolytic Enzymes: Uses, Functions and More Facts You Should Know.
What Foods Have Proteolytic Enzymes?
Proteolytic enzymes are found in natural sources like fruits, vegetables and are sold in the form of supplements as well. Two of the most abundant food sources of proteolytic enzymes are papaya and pineapple.
Papaya contains papain, a powerful proteolytic enzyme that is used as a meat tenderizer due to its ability to break down protein. Similarly, pineapples contain a powerful proteolytic enzyme called bromelain. It is found in the fruit, skin, and sweet juice of the pineapple plant and has been used for centuries as a natural treatment for several ailments.
Other dietary sources of proteolytic enzymes include kiwi, ginger, asparagus, sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, and kefir.
Proteolytic enzyme supplements are available in many forms and can contain both plant- and animal-derived enzymes. Proteolytic enzymes often come in the form of serrapeptase. Serrapeptase is known as a reaction-causing enzyme that is circulated throughout the body to help initiate or stimulate body functions such as healing, energy production, fighting infections, inflammation reduction, and much more.
SerraZyme Ultra of Whole Family Products is at the top of the charts for the best serrapeptase supplement and a natural systemic enzyme therapy we recommend for those who are struggling with immune weakness and for the relief of pain due to inflammation and overexertion.
Benefits of Proteolytic Enzymes
Using proteolytic enzyme supplements has been linked to several health benefits. Some of the possible health benefits are in the areas of:
- Digestion: One of the most common uses for proteolytic enzymes is to improve the digestion and absorption of dietary protein. A study found that taking proteolytic enzyme supplements helped patients with significant improvement in bloating, abdominal pain, belching, heartburn, and loss of appetite.
- Inflammation: Several studies have shown that proteolytic enzymes are effective at reducing inflammation and symptoms related to inflammatory conditions. Certain types of these enzymes have been demonstrated to be safe and effective treatments for arthritis. Proteolytic enzymes arthritis and proteolytic enzymes osteoarthritis are often linked due to the ability of these enzymes to reduce the pain and inflammation reported in these conditions.
- Healing: Taking proteolytic enzymes is also thought of as an effective way to promote healing and help with a speedy recovery. One study found that 24 people who had just undergone dental surgery and then took a supplement containing 5 mg of the proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase had reduced swelling and pain intensity.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Several studies have shown that proteolytic enzymes may reduce common symptoms related to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), such as bloating, gas, constipation, and abdominal pain.
- Muscle Soreness: Proteolytic enzymes may reduce muscle soreness and speed muscle recovery e.g. using them after an intense workout can help with managing post-workout stress. In one small study in men, a proteolytic enzyme blend containing bromelain and curcumin significantly reduced post-workout muscle tenderness and pain, compared to a placebo.
The Miracle of the Enzyme Serrapeptase
Enzymes in the body begin to deplete with age resulting in incomplete digestion of proteins. If this continues, protein deposits build-up may occur, making it difficult for the organs and tissues to function normally.
Systemic enzyme therapy is an approach that makes use of enzymes such as serrapeptase to help the body facilitate regulatory functions. The miracle of the enzyme serrapeptase is that it is deemed to be effective in balancing the immune system, improving digestion, and alleviating symptoms of stress, fatigue, muscle pain, and soreness as well as tissue damage.
SerraZyme Ultra is an herbal and enzyme formula infused with serrapeptase to assist the body in fighting off various illnesses from the common cold to chronic inflammation.
Serrapeptase health benefits include helping the body in:
- Boosting the immune system and immune response
- Fighting infections and inflammation
- Reducing swelling, edema, and pain
- Dissolving scar tissue