Are you trying to get pregnant but your pregnancies are ending in miscarriages instead? Although there are many possible reasons why it’s happening, but the most common cause is luteal phase defect; LPD. This condition is known to affect the menstrual cycle, but further tests need to be done to determine whether it’s a result of infertility.
What Is a Luteal Phase Defect – LPD?
The luteal phase is a stage of the menstrual cycle. It usually lasts 12 to 14 days and happens after ovulation and before the start of a woman’s period. During this phase, the ovaries produce a hormone called progesterone, which tells the uterus lining to grow in preparation for a possible pregnancy.
In very basic terms, if a woman gets pregnant, the developing baby should attach to a thick, blood-filled lining of the uterus. If she does not, the lining would shed and her period begin.
Now, if a woman is diagnosed with having a luteal phase defect, her uterine lining does not grow thicker, making it difficult for her to stay pregnant.
Really understanding what the luteal phase is all about and how necessary it is to a healthy pregnancy, it comes as no surprise why women who are trying to get pregnant would be searching for ways on how to lengthen the luteal phase.
The Causes of Luteal Phase Defect
A luteal phase defect may happen because the ovaries don’t release enough progesterone, or even if the uterus lining does not respond to this vital hormone. According to studies, this condition can be linked to various health problems, such as:
- Excessive exercise
- Hyperprolactinemia or excessive production of hormones that are responsible for making breast milk
- Thyroid problems
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
Luteal Phase Defect Signs and Symptoms
If you have a luteal phase defect, it is likely that you experience at least one ore more of the following signs and symptoms:
- More frequent periods
- Trouble getting pregnant
- Spotting in between periods
- Miscarriage (also known as secondary infertility)
- Earlier than usual menstrual cycles
Luteal Phase Defect Remedies
The remedy for this condition depends on a woman’s overall health, whether or not she’s trying to get pregnant.
For those who don’t want to get pregnant or are not yet ready, they may opt not to get treated. However, if you are trying to have a baby, doctors usually suggest doing any of the following:
- Treat the underlying cause of the defect. For example, if the condition is a result of extreme stress, doctors may teach stress management techniques that can normalize the luteal phase.
- Transdermal organic progesterone cream (the best delivery option is actually through the skin with harm to the liver), injections, or suppositories that have natural progesterone for luteal phase defect. This can be done after the ovulation period to help the uterus lining grow.
- There are natural herbs to strengthen the balance between the follicular and luteal phases. Herbs traditionally used for this might be a false unicorn, vitex – chastetree berry, ginseng, maca as well as the amino acid l-arginine.
- Check with a natural doctor for alternatives to drugs that can be harmful to mother and baby. Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) may also be recommended to help produce more progesterone after conception but this is something a healthy pregnancy will produce. Here’s to your health.
Not getting pregnant or experiencing frequent miscarriages because of a short luteal phase can be discouraging, sometimes depressing. But don’t worry because the little things you do can make a difference. What’s important is that you pay attention to any luteal phase defect signs and symptoms. The sooner you get yourself checked, the sooner you can receive treatment and the better your chances of experiencing a healthy pregnancy.
To further improve the reproductive health and increase the chances of conception, both men and women should take action. Men can take the best male fertility supplements like Fertile Male. Women, on the other hand, can take the best female libido boosters like Fertile Lady. These supplements come packed with natural herbal ingredients that are being used by couples who are trying to get pregnant, so you can never go wrong with these products.