How to use natural progesterone cream doesn’t vary much but you will want to keep one thing in mind – how much progesterone USP there is in 1/4 tsp. You may divide that amount if you need less and multiple if you need more but it will give you an even place to begin. We have several options for natural progesterone cream; some with the same amount of progesterone but different ingredients, some that use a heated process and some that are cold processed. All our creams have their uses and strengths and are listed at the bottom of this page.
PMS and Acne
Both PMS and Acne (usually on the chin) are temporary and most often tied to cycles but unpleasant and bothersome nevertheless. Most find that a small amount of progesterone, from ovulation to menses, will help. 1/4 tsp morning and evening (this keeps the hormones level) of a cream that has 500 – 600 mg per oz or 1/8 tsp morning and evening for a cream with 750 – 900 mg per oz. Make sure to use AFTER ovulation so that ovulation is not suppressed. Common usage is for days 12-26. Menses should follow a couple days after stopping use.
Trying to Conceive
If you are trying to conceive with recurring miscarriages often times a small amount of progesterone, from ovulation to menses, will help. 1/4 tsp morning and evening (this keeps the hormones level) of a cream that has 500 – 600 mg per oz or 1/8 tsp morning and evening for a cream with 750 – 900 mg per oz.
If you have been trying to conceive without success due to PCOS/PCOD/Cysts or long cycles, Dr Lee designed a protocol to help get rid of the cysts over a period of 2-3 cycles / months. While this is not guaranteed, we have seen it work for many women in our involvement with infertility since 1998. Using about 1/4 tsp. twice a day, days 8 thru 26 for 2-3 months then 1/4 tsp. twice a day, the day following ovulation – around day 14 – through day 26. 1/4 tsp morning and evening (this keeps the hormones level) of a cream that has 500 – 600 mg per oz or 1/8 tsp morning and evening for a cream with 750 – 900 mg per oz.
If there is a possibility of pregnancy, DO NOT stop using the cream until you take a pregnancy test. If the test is negative then resume scheduled use. If test is positive, use as for pregnancy.
Women or are very overweight should know that fat absorbs hormones and more progesterone should be used, perhaps even doubling the suggested use. As always, talk to your doctor about specifics to your profile.
Using natural progesterone during pregnancy has tremendous benefits to both mother and baby, according to Dr. Lee. Progesterone is the main hormone during pregnancy and the lack of it the leading cause for first term miscarriage. It is what allows for the blood in the uterus to stay “puffed up” in order for your baby to nest in.
1/4 tsp three times a day from conception forward is the general consensus among physicians. In third trimester there should be a gradual decrease just as your own body would produce less progesterone nearing the end of pregnancy, Do not stop abruptly but rather gradually decrease the amount you use, about 2 – 4 weeks before scheduled delivery time.
Apply mainly to abdomen, breasts, lower back, and upper thighs (where it will help prevent stretch marks) or arms and upper chest where there is little hair growth. You may find that it helps with joint pain, associated with pregnancy, as well.
Nursing / Breastfeeding
Progesterone is not recommended, after delivery; if you are breast-feeding. Progesterone naturally suppresses prolactin; the hormone responsible for producing breast milk; just as added B6 vitamins lowers prolactin and interferes with nursing. See Postpartum section below.
Postpartum depression is not to be taken lightly. It stems from hormonal imbalance; a wild hormonal ride. If you suffer from PPD and are nursing, it is better to use progesterone cream then to suffer under it. To keep up your milk supply drink a fennel tea, such as Mother’s Milk Tea while using just enough progesterone to alleviate the depression. Progesterone is non-addicting. Simply discontinue when hormonal balance returns.
Menopause and Beyond
If you have menopausal symptoms you may consider a higher concentrated natural progesterone cream. MenoBalance has 37.5mg per 1/4 tsp. Dr Lee recommended that women begin with natural progesterone cream for relief of menopausal concerns. He advocated the use of estriol only after progesterone gained no relief and, as a last resort, a small amount of estradiol for as brief a time as possible. A large amount of the menopausal community find that regular use of progesterone cream will make the difference in this important stage of a woman’s life.
For normal use in menopause and beyond use 1/4 tsp of a higher concentration cream 1-2 times per day, for 21-25 days per month. Most find it easiest to start on the 1st of each month and use for that number of days. Choose the schedule that works best for you. You will be able to tell by finding relief. Some find progesterone cream to be helpful for fibromyalgia and joint pain as well.
Our Natural Progesterone Creams and Strengths – All jars include a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon.
Progesterone Creams with 20 to 25 mg per 1/4 tsp
- Cycle Balance Cream – 20mg per 1/4 tsp – Cold Processed for better assimilation – comes in 2 and 4 oz jars or pumps
- Fertile Balance – 20 mg per 1/4 tsp – Certified organic ingredients and herbs known for PMS etc.
- Balance Cream – 25 mg per 1/4 tsp – essential oils instead of herbs – comes in 2 oz jar or pump
Progesterone Creams with 30 to 40 mg per 1/4 tsp
- Cycle Balance Plus lotion – 30 mg per 1 tsp – Cold Processed for better assimilation – includes herbs known for their help with cramps, acne, severe PMS etc. 4 and 8 oz bottles.
- Cycle Balance Oil – 30 mg per 1/4 tsp – Cold Processed and only 4 ingredients. 5mg per pump make it easy to find the correct amount for you personally. 2 oz bottle
- PMS Balance – same ingredients as Balance Cream but with a higher concentration of progesterone for more serious PMS etc – 37.5 mg per 1/4 tsp – 2 oz jar or 2 and 3 oz pumps.
Natural Progesterone / Estriol Products for Menopause
- PhytoEstrogen Pro – 30 mg natural progesterone and 60 mg phytoestrogens per 1/4 tsp – Certified organic ingredients – 2 oz jar only – Perfect for those in pre/peri or menopause.
- MenoBalance the best progesterone cream for menopause has the same ingredients as PMS Cream but with a name more appealing to those in menopause – 37.5 mg per 1/4 tsp – 2 oz jar or 2 and 3 oz pumps
- Estriol Oil and Natural Estrogen Cream – Estriol is considered safe by Dr Lee and the medical community as an adjunct therapy to managing menopause. 1/4 teaspoon = 1.25 ml estriol USP
- BiEstro Cream – 80% estriol USP and 20% estradiol. 1/4 teaspoon equals about 1 mg Estriol USP & 0.25 mg Estradiol USP.